At Murrumbeena Primary School we believe the love of learning can be nurtured through positive, engaging and supportive experiences. The learning experiences we provide, fosters knowledge, skills, attitudes and creativity that students need to become lifelong learners. Learners who are able to adapt to an ever advancing world while maintaining positive health and wellbeing.
We continue to live by a set of attitudes where our students’ social and emotional development and wellbeing is of the utmost importance.
The Primary Years Program focuses on the development of the learner profile attributes which aim to develop intellectual, personal, emotional and social growth.
We want our students to be:
- Inquirers: By being curious and developing skills necessary for inquiry and research. Being independent and collaborative Learners. Developing a love of learning which is enduring.
- Knowledgeable: By developing conceptual understandings which are timeless and transferrable across a range of subject areas. Making learning engaging and relevant through local and global issues.
- Thinkers: By using critical and creative thinking skills across all subjects and taking personal and collective action to address identified problems. Being able to make reasoned and ethical decisions now and in the future.
- Communicators: By confidently using speaking and listening skills to share ideas and perspective and acknowledge those of others. Being able to communicate in more than one language and range of modes.
- Principled: By implementing the school values of respect, responsibility, relationships and resilience. Being honest and fair and treating all people the way in which they would like to be treated. Taking responsibility for personal actions and their consequences.
- Open minded: By appreciating their own culture and personal history, and understanding and accepting the values and traditions of others. Considering a range of points of view and being willing to change their thinking as a result of new learning.
- Caring: By showing empathy, compassion and respect for others and acting to make a positive difference in their lives and world.
- Risk Takers: By developing strategies and skills to approach challenges and change with resilience and determination. Working independently and collaboratively to solve problems and achieve learning goals.
- Balanced: By understanding that in order to be balanced we need to manage the intellectual, physical and emotional aspects of our wellbeing and develop strategies and skills to manage each facet. Being aware of the interdependence we have on each other and our effect on the wellbeing of others.
- Reflective: By thoughtfully considering the world and our own ideas and experience. Understanding our strengths and weaknesses in order to support our learning and personal development.
One of my major roles is to oversee student wellbeing in partnership with staff, parents and the wider community. Student support is a whole school priority and I am more than willing to assist you with any inquiries or issues you wish to discuss.
Mrs Chellee Plumb