History


Murrumbeena Primary School’s main building was built in stages. It began as an annexe of Rosstown School (now Carnegie) in 1903. It operated from the Presbyterian Church Hall, catering for young children within the district. The current site was purchased in 1902 and was completed and occupied in April 1917, by 250 pupils and 5 staff members.

 

Adjoining properties came onto the market and were purchased by the school in 1920, 1923 and 1924, which extended the grounds. In recent years, the house and land was purchased next door and the current Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden building and classrooms were built in its place.

 

After parent fundraising, our swimming pool was built in 1929 (which was originally outdoors) and after proceeds from a very successful fete in 1990, the school was able to connect solar heating to the pool. On the 75th anniversary in June of 1992, an ampitheatre was built in the North-West corner of the grounds.

 

1995 saw major maintenance and changes, which included replacement of the roof, extension of the library, creation of a special learning foyer outside the junior classrooms and interior painting. In 1996 our school hall/gym was built to provide a space for physical education, performances, assemblies and functions and in 1999, our outdoor pool finally became an indoor pool. Air conditioning was installed within the main building in 1999 over the past 20 years, we have continued to upgrade our resources and facilities which include technology such as interactive panels, computers such as laptops and iPads and beautification works within the school grounds, which began in 2017.

 

Translator

© 2022 Murrumbeena Primary School The sponsor-ed Group